The railways rolled out the Shramik particular trains on Friday to ferry migrants, stranded because of the Covid-19 lockdown, to their respective states. (Photograph: PTI)
As elevated criticism of Railways’ resolution to cost migrant staff pressured the Centre to beat a hasty retreat, migrants in Gujarat claimed they have been made to pay for a prepare journey to Uttar Pradesh.
Migrant staff in Gujarat’s Ahmedabad informed India In the present day TV that they have been made to pay over Rs 600 for boarding a Shramik Categorical prepare to Uttar Pradesh. The migrants have been made to pay the fare to journey from Nadiad to Gorakhpur.
Talking with India In the present day TV, one migrant mentioned, “I purchased a prepare ticket from my very own cash. I paid Rs 690 for the ticket and in that bought meals and water on the prepare. I paid cash on the spot the place our particulars have been being taken by authorities.”
One other employee from UP shared the same story, “We deposited Rs 700 with authorities when our journey passes have been made in Ahmedabad. The ticket value Rs 635 and we have been returned the remainder of the cash.”
Migrants who travelled from Surat to Jharkhand additionally claimed they purchased their prepare tickets from their very own cash.
The labourers mentioned that they have been going again residence within the absence of any cash to maintain lives and therefore couldn’t afford to pay for the tickets. But lots of them referred to as for cash from their properties or borrowed from their employers to pay for the ticket.
They have been reportedly made to pay fares as excessive as Rs 700.
The revelation comes after the BJP claimed that solely opposition-led states have been charging migrants for ferrying them residence.
WHAT THE ROW IS ABOUT
The railways rolled out the Shramik particular trains on Friday to ferry migrants, stranded because of the Covid-19 lockdown, to their respective states.
The federal government got here in for criticism after a round from the railways mentioned, “the native state authorities authority shall handover tickets to passengers cleared by them and accumulate the ticket fare and hand over the whole quantity to the railways.”
A political slugfest broke out on Monday over the ‘homecoming’ of migrants after the Congress accused the federal government of charging cash from stranded staff and supplied to pay for his or her journey to native locations, drawing a pointy retort from the BJP which mentioned the railways was already bearing 85 per cent of the journey value and charging solely 15 per cent from the state governments.
Aside from the Congress, different opposition events, together with the CPI-M, the Nationwide Convention and the Loktantrik Janata Dal have criticised the Centre amidst experiences that migrant staff should not capable of afford to journey again to their native locations.
Accusing the Central authorities and the Indian Railways of ignoring the calls for made by the Congress for guaranteeing secure and free journey of migrant staff and labourers to their properties, Sonia Gandhi on Monday introduced that get together’s state models will bear the price of rail journey of needy migrants stranded at numerous locations throughout the nation as its “humble contribution” to indicate solidarity with these staff, who’ve contributed to nation’s improvement.
Different Congress leaders additionally joined Gandhi to assault the federal government, saying it introduced again these stranded overseas freed from value whereas making these poor folks pay. In addition they demanded that the ‘PM Cares Fund’ needs to be used for migrants.
“On one hand, the railways is charging ticket fares from labourers stranded in different states whereas on the opposite, the railway ministry is donating Rs 151 crore to the PM-Cares Fund. Simply resolve this puzzle,” Congress chief Rahul Gandhi tweeted.
The BJP hit again saying the railways has subsidised 85 per cent of ticket fare for Shramik particular trains being run to ferry migrant staff and the state authorities has to pay the remaining 15 per cent.
The Centre mentioned that for every ‘Shramik Categorical’, about 1,200 tickets are given by the railways to the state authorities involved.
The state governments are purported to clear the ticket value and hand over the tickets to staff.
The railways is charging the fare of sleeper class tickets in mail/specific trains, plus a super-fast cost of Rs 30 and an extra cost of Rs 20 for the Shramik particular trains.
(with inputs from Hetali Mehta in Kheda and Sanjay Singh Rathore in Surat)