A health care provider in Chennai, who died after being contaminated with the coronavirus, was refused a correct burial by locals who protested on the cemetery the place his physique was taken on Sunday evening. Because the mob pelted stones and attacked the ambulance, his colleagues needed to dig a grave with naked palms to bury the physician.
Opposition leaders have expressed shock and disbelief on the remedy of Dr Simon Hercules, a 55-year-old neurosurgeon, who died serving the identical individuals who later refused to provide him the respect and dignity he deserved.
The incident has left many, together with the household and colleagues of the physician, in shock and disbelief. Outrage has poured in from the medical fraternity, political world in addition to on Twitter.
Listed here are prime developments from the Chennai incident:
1. After locals in Chennai refused burial to a physician over fears of coronavirus, DMK chief Kanimozhi stated, “I’m deeply shocked to a bunch of individuals have stopped the burial of Dr. Simon Hercules. Solely clapping palms for medical doctors, nurses, well being employees and sanitation employees just isn’t sufficient.”
2. PMK Chief Dr. Anbumani Ramadoss stated, “It is a stigma which is affecting medical doctors and sufferers alike. It is a horrifying occasion that occurred. Dr. Simon served individuals. He deserved an honest burial. These medical doctors have labored selflessly. Folks want to grasp this.”
3. Dr Simon Hercules, a Chennai-based neurosurgeon, handed away on Sunday evening after battling the coronavirus for 2 weeks. He was on ventilator help in the direction of the top when he suffered a cardiac arrest on Sunday night.
4. His physique was handed over to his household and a few colleagues from his hospital. The group was on its technique to the Kilpauk cemetery the place indignant locals have been already ready to show them away.
5. The ambulance carrying the stays of Dr Simon then went to the Anna Nagar cemetery the place one other group of protesters met them. The mob didn’t simply protest, however attacked the ambulance, broke the home windows and injured the motive force and a sanitation employee with sticks and stones.
6. Dr Bhagyaraj, a colleague of Dr Simon, stated at one level they needed to abandon the physique and flee to avoid wasting themselves from the mob. They later got here again to gather the physique.
7. Later, one other colleague, Dr Pradeep and two others wearing PPE kits buried Dr Simon by themselves as there was nobody else to assist. The three of them went again to the cemetery at evening and buried Dr Simon with naked palms as there was just one shovel to make use of.
8. Dr Pradeep narrated his horrific ordeal and stated that whilst they lowered the physique into the grave, they feared for his or her lives because the mob was nonetheless current however at a distance as that they had police safety round.
9. Police later arrested 20 individuals from Anna Nagar who have been concerned within the assault.
10. Numerous medical doctors associations have condemned the incident and requested the federal government to make sure such incidents should not repeated once more. They’ve requested the federal government to make sure persons are made conscious that the virus doesn’t unfold if the physique is buried there as due care and protocol are adopted in burial and cremation.
Learn | Coronavirus killed hundreds in secret too, nations now revising Covid-19 demise toll
Learn | Charge of doubling of Covid-19 instances in 19 states/UTs lesser than nationwide common: MoHFW
Watch | Vaccine to deal with coronavirus quickly? Oxford researchers promise treatment